Many home care agencies today accept long-term care insurance as a form of payment for 24 hour care, live-in care, live-out care, home helper services, companion care, senior care, disability care, incontinence care and more. The most popular type of policy sold is the comprehensive policy, which pays for hospice care, respite care, in-home care and other types of care in residential care facilities. What sets in-home care services apart from domestic services is assistance with personal care, such as incontinence care or bathing. LTC providers cover in-home care services if they include incontinence care or other services beyond the basic level of assistance with daily living activities.
Understanding Misconceptions of Long-Term Care Insurance (LTC)
Relying on Medicaid and Medicare for health insurance coverage when you get older will bite you in the rear end if you don’t invest in long-term care insurance. The following ten misconceptions about LTC are derived from American Association of Retired Persons (AARP):
- Medicare will pay for care. It will only cover short-term care such as rehabilitation after injury or illness. It will not meet the long-term needs of seniors.
- Insurance only covers nursing home care. LTC covers both nursing home care and in-home care.
- My family will take care of me for free. Even if they are not charging you, they are still paying out of pocket if they need to hire an in-home professional caregiver to take care of your personal hygiene needs.
- I’m too young to worry about it. That’s the best time to buy LTC because you are more likely to be qualified.
- When I need it, I’ll get it. By the time you’ll need it, it will be too late, because many LTC companies won’t insure people if they’ve been diagnosed with an illness. This would be comparable to buying earthquake insurance after your house was destroyed by an earthquake.
- I’ll fail the medical screening. Don’t assume you will fail the screening. You may be more qualified than you think.
- I was denied so I am uninsurable. Keep shopping around.le
- I can’t afford it. Talk to a long-term insurance provider first before you decide that you cannot afford it.
- Insurance will cover all my needs. As with all insurance, LTC has deductibles and if you use up the entire benefit amount that you paid for in premiums, you will have to start paying out-of-pocket.
- It’s too complicated. You can talk to a long-term insurance representative or a home care agency to discuss your LTC options before you buy a policy. A-1 Home Care’s management team will be more than happy to make some recommendations and you will get a firsthand overview of what LTC covers for in-home care services.
About A-1 Home Care
A-1 Home Care is Brentwood’s preferred non-medical home care agency dedicated to providing quality senior care services all over LA County. Since its inception in 1991, A-1 Home Care has far exceeded the expectations of their clients, thanks to the wonderful team of caregivers, certified nurse assistants, certified home health aides, and licensed vocational nurses. We make high quality in-home care within reach for everyone in your community because no senior should be left behind. Paying out of pocket? No problem! You will be pleased to know how affordable our 24 hour care services are. A-1 Home Care also accepts veteran benefits and long-term care insurance.
For more information about Stroke Care, call A-1 Home Care today (310) 657-8780 or visit www.brentwoodinhomecare.com for services in Brentwood and surrounding areas like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Culver City and Malibu.